Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hectic Days and Contest Time

Again, it has been a while since my last post; things around here have been pretty busy. Region marching contest is Saturday (20th) and then Area is next Saturday (27th). Marching rehearsals, sectionals, and flag practices have been taking up most of our time. It's times like these that I envy those elementary music teachers! I guess I can't complain, I signed up for this torture! But really I do enjoy what I'm doing most of the time. I have a pretty good guard this year--we've won the outstanding guard award at the Tall City Marching Festival (Midland) and the Abilene Wylie Marching Festival (both in the SAME day). We beat 5A schools like Permian, Midland High, Odessa High, and Abilene. I guess that means I'm doing SOMETHING right. Lately the wind has been a problem, though. The last two days winds have been over 30mph! Try tossing a flag in that! But my girls have been doing okay.

The rest of the band is doing fine. I can't honestly comment on how they're doing, since most of the time I'm looking at the flags. Reuben is working hard out on the marching field trying to get people in step and facing the right direction! I guess I have the easier job--I only have 20 girls to watch; he has over 150! The band sounds really good, so maybe we have hope of going on to state. Unfortunately we're up against some good DFW schools and even some from El Paso (boy, I'd hate to live THERE). We'll find out next week. Wish us luck.

By the way, we have 3 games left in regular season. Can you believe we beat PLAINVIEW?!?! Now all we have to do is beat one more team to go to the playoffs. GREAT. I was getting excited that football season was almost over. I guess we had better not make plans for Thanksgiving!

I'm posting a video I did of the marching show with my digital camera. Hopefully, it will come out so you can see what we've been doing. It's mostly of the flags, but sometimes you can see what the band is doing. (That's if it works!)

2 comments:

Harmony said...

So how did the band do yesterday?

Shannon said...

We made a I at contest. We perform next Sat. in Odessa for Area. We don't know times yet. Almost done!